Don’t underestimate pain in the joint area, and this could be a sign of bursitis! Generally, this condition is prone to attack people aged over 40 years. However, it is possible that even young people can experience this.
Bursitis is inflammation of the bursa, the lubricant and cushion around the joint that reduces friction between the bones and tendons when they move. This disorder usually occurs in the knee, elbow, shoulder, and hip joints.
Causes of Bursitis
Repetitive motion injuries to the muscles, joints, and tendons around the bursae cause bursitis. For example:
- Repeatedly bending and straightening the elbow.
- Lifting a risky load on the shoulders.
- Excessive walking or running can put your ankles at risk.
- Resting your knees or elbows on a hard surface.
Symptoms of Bursitis
Symptoms that arise in sufferers can vary from one another. However, generally, the symptoms of bursitis are:
- Limited movement.
- Swelling and redness if the inflamed bursae are close to the skin surface.
Chronic bursitis may recur. Starting from pain, swelling, and tenderness. This can cause muscle damage and a limited range of motion in the affected joints.
You may be keen to read Belly Fat: The Harmful Effects and Ways to Lose It
While not all types of bursitis are preventable, you can reduce flare-ups’ risk and severity by changing how you carry out your activities. For example, with:
Using knee pads. Use some type of padding to reduce pressure on your knees if your activity requires a lot of kneeling.
- Lift objects properly. Bend your knees while lifting.
- Take frequent breaks.
- Maintain ideal body weight. Being overweight will put a lot of pressure on the joints.
- Exercising. Strengthening muscles can help protect affected joints.
- Warm up and stretch before strenuous activities to protect joints from injury.
When to see a doctor
To prevent the condition from worsening and avoid complications, see a doctor immediately if you experience bursitis for more than a week or if the symptoms worsen after being given independent treatment at home.
Patients with rheumatoid arthritis, gout, diabetes, overweight, or obesity are also more likely to experience bursitis. Therefore, if you suffer from this condition, carry out routine checks with the doctor periodically to anticipate the onset of bursitis.
PrimePlus Medical is your trusted healthcare provider in Canggu, Bali. Our team of English-speaking doctors is always ready to offer you international quality medical services. From quality consultation to great emergency care and even vaccination services, we are passionately driven to become your top healthcare solution in Bali.
If you are interested in our services, please do not hesitate to give us a call at +(62)361 474 0055 or email us at [email protected]!