Long Covid or Post Covid syndrome is one of the occurrences that Covid-19 survivors should be on the lookout for. Due to the fact that certain medical professionals and academics have discovered that many patients who have recovered report having a variety of symptoms.
Long or Post Covid Syndrome is described by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence as symptoms that remain for 8 to 12 weeks after being confirmed cured or negative for Corona.
After infection with Covid-19, most sufferers recover within a few days to a few weeks, therefore the first signs of long covid conditions may not appear until at least four weeks have passed after the initial infection. Anyone who has been infected can develop long covid symptoms.
The long covid experienced by survivors can make them return to their activities. However, they are unable to recover to their previous levels of performance or are not as effective as before being exposed to COVID-19.
What are the symptoms of post-COVID-19 syndrome?
People with long covid symptoms may experience a variety of symptoms that continue for several weeks or even months following infection. Symptoms may possibly disappear or reappear at times.
The effects of long covid symptoms may not be the same for everyone. People with long covid symptoms may encounter health issues as a consequence of various types and combinations of symptoms occurring over varying time periods. Most patients’ symptoms gradually get better over time. However, for some patients, long covid symptoms might linger weeks, months, or even years following covid-19 syndrome and can occasionally result in disability.
People who experience post-covid conditions most commonly report:
- Tiredness or fatigue that interferes with daily life
- Symptoms that get worse after physical or mental effort (also known as “post-exertional malaise”)
Respiratory and heart symptoms
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Fast-beating or pounding heart (also known as heart palpitations)
- Difficulty thinking or concentrating (sometimes referred to as “brain fog”)
- Sleep problems
- Dizziness when you stand up (lightheadedness)
- Pins-and-needles feelings
- Change in smell or taste
- Depression or anxiety
- Stomach pain
- Joint or muscle pain
- Changes in menstrual cycles
What increases your risk of developing this syndrome?
Researchers are trying to figure out who or what types of persons are more prone to suffer long covid disorders and why. According to research, certain categories of people may be more impacted by long covid symptoms. These are only a few examples of individuals or groups who could be more vulnerable than other groups to developing long covid conditions:
- People who have experienced more severe covid-19 illness, especially those who were hospitalized or needed intensive care.
- People who had underlying health conditions prior to covid-19.
- People who did not get a covid-19 vaccine.
- People who experience multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS) during or after covid-19 illness.
Adults tend to be more prone to long covid-19 syndrome than children and teenagers. However, everyone who has covid-19 can have long-term effects, even if they have no symptoms or a minor illness.
What should you do if you experience symptoms of long covid-19 syndrome?
Consult your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms of long COVID-19 syndrome. To prepare for your appointment, make the following notes:
- When your symptoms started
- What makes your symptoms worse
- How often do you experience symptoms
- How do your symptoms affect your activities
They may suggest some tests to find out more about your symptoms and rule out other things that could be causing them.
These might include:
- blood tests
- checking your blood pressure and heart rate
- a chest X-ray
- measuring your oxygen levels
What treatment and support you should seek if you experience the syndrome?
Your doctor will discuss the care and assistance you may require. You may be given instructions for managing and monitoring your symptoms at home.
If your symptoms are causing significant inconvenience in your life, you may be sent to a specialized service, rehabilitation service, or institution that focuses on the exact symptoms you are experiencing.
These services can assist you in managing your symptoms and recovering. If you experience Long Covid Syndrome. PrimePlus Medical is here to help you.
PrimePlus Medical is your trusted healthcare provider in Canggu, Bali. Our team of English-speaking doctors is always ready to offer you international quality medical services. From quality consultation to great emergency care and even vaccination services, we are passionately driven to become your top healthcare solution in Bali.
If you are interested in our services, please do not hesitate to give us a call at +(62)361 474 0055 or email us at [email protected]